Monday, April 07, 2008

Don't Stare


My first experience with fundamental (conservative) Muslims was when we got to Bangkok and did our health screening. The Brumrangad (sp) Hospital attracts a fairly affluent crowd so it was packed with Saudis and other Arabs. Many of the women were from the more conservative sect of Islam, dressed in the full burka complete with heavily veiled eyes. They waited for their appoints in the lobby with the rest of us.

I tried not to stare but I couldn't help but glance a few times because it was such a novelty to me. As is always the case when looking at the opposite sex, you get caught taking your peek. Obviously, I wasn't looking because of the sexy attire but I was caught regardless and her reaction was a surprise. The lady quickly turned her head and rubbed her eyes as if she needed to rid herself of the vision. I immediately became uncomfortable, her reaction to my glance was far more acute then I was prepared for. I obviously had made a social faupa.

Months later in Kuala Lumpur I learned a bit more about the Muslim religion(s) and beliefs. Taxi drivers are a great source of information when traveling, as they have a genetic predisposition to jabber. In KL ,as in NYC, most seemed to be Hindu Indian, and the ones I met certainly didn't have any love loss for the country's Muslim majority. Anyway, I was told that frequently the Taxi drives are told not to use their re-view mirrors when driving with fundamental Muslims because it might cause them to look directly at the woman. This is a big no no. "Told" by the husband or child that is accompanying the woman, because the woman can not talk directly to, or travel alone with "the strange man". This causes some friction between the Taxi drivers and Muslims. Ours declared that he simply asks the passengers to "get out", if they have a problem with use of the rear-view.
I started thinking about the recent Muslim rape case that has been all over the International news in the past months. You hear these things but somehow imagine their occurrence happened in some remote, fundamental district of Islam, one that is a strong hold of the belief. I was surprised, being in such a seemingly progressive and modern city to be hearing the stories like these.



According to what I read at the Center of Islamic Arts this "veiled attire" got its start by a sense of modesty. (Perhaps slightly over developed). The famous Islamic lattice arts and carvings got their start as a type of blind (curtain) for placement around womens areas within the home. Men could see the women through the blinds but not directly. The taxi drivers however say that is all BS and the reason for the veiling of the women is pure jealously. The men simply are protecting their assets so to speak. Accordingly, the culture is very suspicious one. Either way the whole tradition is completely archaic and seems out of place now in the 21st century. But then again so do many of the religious habits of western cultures.
As with many things, the whole experience got me thinking; thinking about what it must be like and what effect these restraints would have on Muslim women. How altered does a person become when they learn not to look at people, not to acknowledge a person and spend a whole life [not] doing so. I couldn't image so I tried it for for a few minutes while waiting for Syd and the kids at the mall. I lasted about 5 minutes, then a pretty young lady walked by. Okay maybe I could have tried harder but it just seemed so unnatural, cruel really.


I should note that the majority of Muslims, in KL and Thailand, don't follow this stricter version of the religion. Their version is defined by a simple head scarf for the women, perhaps not much different then wearing a cross for Christains. We've had a few chances to interact with Muslims but in general I don't get the feeling that they are very social outside their culture. They are however, social enough to ask for a picture. Muslims (and Asians in general) seem to have a fascination with blonds, girls in particular. In the course of a couple hours, while visiting a "Discovery Center" in KL, Barrett had her picture taken by Muslim strangers 3-4 times . I kept waiting for one to ask me how much I'd sell her for. Maybe if we had run into the prince I would have gotten a good price. We didn't so we still have her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Busted! Love it,some things never change. Keep it up we love to hear about your travels, fascinating.

Not much to report as Summer approaches. Skiing at the Bird, 200" at Hood and off to Moab with The Olsens and Bukovanskys for Cinco De Mayo. You will be missed,again.

Family is great, weather is getting better with every passing day and I'm in remission. Not a bad way to start Summer.

Oh ya Mexico was very windy (mostly 9M kiting) 26 out of 35 days. Same old story got sick of drinking Mexican beers/tacos etc. And Larry took my "bling bling" in the unsanctioned Bocce tournament.

Also Bryns new name "Pancho Son of Natcho" and Yes he missed the Pancakes.

Also got a Honda CRF 250X, trying to hook up with Steve D for some rides. Superfun!

Fantastic writing Eric I'm impressed.

Warm Regards
The Heinemanns

Anonymous said...

Hey...What's new with you guys? How about some more pictures and commentary Eric? Rylan and Barrett's blogs are way cool. Great way to show the world to everyone.

Doug and family
Parker, Colorado